The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.

A forum where you can discuss King Richard III and anything related to his life and times.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

3D Build of Middleham You Can Move About In

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wednesday
Admin

PostSubject: 3D Build of Middleham You Can Move About In   Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:30 pm

In the course of developing a fantasy novel featuring Richard, I've had to build Middleham (the inner and outer courtyards) in Minecraft so I can walk around the duke’s domain in 3D and see where things are.

I thought to share the file here, so anyone with access to Minecraft can download the world and use as they will. You can destroy things and rebuild, too. If you actually game with it, let me know how that works out for you? I tried not to build anything with monster-egg blocks, but I may have missed something, and I’ve never actually played the game – I only use the program in build mode to create locations/settings for books.

Minecraft’s building capabilities aren’t nearly as elegant as Lost In Castles’, but it gets the job done. I used the English Heritage Middleham Castle tourguide and the Lost In Castles lecture/layout to reconstruct as best I can. You build everything in the program with square blocks, so I’ve had to force spiral staircases to conform to squares, which is terribly awkward. I know things are wrong, but the ruins are a shambles and some things I’ve had to guess at. (The location to the entrance to the solar, for example).

You can get lost in Middleham -- especially in the outer courtyard as it’s crowded and maze-like. I hope you will.

Anyone can download the .zip file from here:

https://copy.com/DMt0tXDogCAq

Feel free to share the link, and please let me know if the download doesn’t work – it’s the first time I’ve used copy.com for anything, and anyone with the URL is supposed to be able to download the file.

I hope you have as much fun exploring it as I had building it.

PostSubject: Re: 3D Build of Middleham You Can Move About In   Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:39 am

I've downloaded the Minecraft software for it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks very muchly!
Back to top Go down

3D Build of Middleham You Can Move About In
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1