The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.

A forum where you can discuss King Richard III and anything related to his life and times.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Let me introduce myself ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
upstartcrow

PostSubject: Let me introduce myself ...   Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi, I'm fairly new to Richard III studies. I retired and moved to Leicestershire around 8 years ago. It wasn't too long before I visited Bosworth for the first time. This sparked my interest in medieval times which grew slowly over the next few years. In 2012 my interest in medieval matters took a quantum leap with the discovery of Richard's remains in Leicester. As a result I have since met many people via the internet with similar interests. My R3 knowledge is still quite limited but I am learning all the time and look forward to extending my knowledge through the pages of this forum. Upstart Crow.  study
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Welcome to the forum. Richard has a reputation for pulling people in, so they want to know more about him. Let us know what you have questions about, and someone will likely know the answer or where to direct you.

Have you seen the farm on Fenn Lane that has the board up, pointing out that its fields were likely the site of the battle? I think all one can do is read the board and stare out over the fields as its private property and cultivated.
Back to top Go down
http://richardiiinetwork.forumotion.com
upstartcrow

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:18 am

I have walked the public footpaths across the Fenn Lane Farm fields several times since the true site of the battle was revealed and I have seen the corner of one of the fields where a host of wild flowers have sprung up. I guess somebody from the R3 Society or other interested party has scattered seeds there. I looks very nice. I have not, however, seen the information board you refer to concerning the likely site of Redemore. I must go and have a look at that soon. Thanks for telling me about it.
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:55 am

upstartcrow wrote:
I have walked the public footpaths across the Fenn Lane Farm fields several times since the true site of the battle was revealed and I have seen the corner of one of the fields where a host of wild flowers have sprung up. I guess somebody from the R3 Society or other interested party has scattered seeds there. I looks very nice. I have not, however, seen the information board you refer to concerning the likely site of Redemore. I must go and have a look at that soon. Thanks for telling me about it.

If I remember correctly, the family owning the farm put the sign up on the road last year. A son from the family announced it and included photos.
Back to top Go down
http://richardiiinetwork.forumotion.com
janmulrenan

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:05 pm

Jan here. I should have introduced myself before posting earlier. Apologies!

I read Tey & PMK when in my teens & am now 63 with more time to spend on what interests me. A great deal of time is going on reading about the king & his times as a result with other things taking a back seat. What else can you do when you ask your local library to find the book on the king's coronation & it is duly sent from a university in the USA on a rather short loan?

This sounds a bit self-indulgent but my interest in the C15 has made me much more curious about the area where I live. I found a good pig with a bell round its neck along with St Anthony in the C15 window glass of a church about 30 minutes drive from my house this month.
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Welcome, Jan. They couldn't find your book at Oxford or Cambridge, if not another library in Britain? What book did you request?

The last book I requested from inter-library loan here in the States was on bookbinding, written by a Japanese expert. When I returned it to the local library, I requested a receipt so I'd have record of returning it. The librarian took it personally, as if I were accusing the staff of possible thievery. But the book I borrowed cost over $100.

It's good that there are bound books to loan. The day may come when everything is on ebook.

Welcome to R3N.

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Thank you for the welcome. Thank you also for setting up this site!
I borrowed "The Coronation of Richard III; the Extant Documents", edited by Anne F. Sutton & P.W. Hammond. It came from Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana. Goodness knows why there was no copy available closer to home. This must be an absolute bargain because I was only charged £4.
Jan.
Back to top Go down
khafara

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm Tamara, and I live in the States, in the Upper Midwest.

When I was in junior high, we were reading what I now come to think of as "Shakespeare's Greatest Hits"; that is to say, these were the plays that twentieth century audiences (or at least the critics and tastemakers in the audiences) tended to favor above all others. We started off with Romeo and Juliet, then went on to Hamlet, Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, and finally Richard III. That last play was such a Bizarro World shocker, coming after the previous four (especially Cleopatra, where Shakespeare showed he could write women who were living, breathing characters), that I flatly refused to take it seriously - and also started to wonder just what Shakespeare was up to, writing something that was so blatantly and obviously farce whilst pretending it to be a grand history play.

Some years later, I was in a used bookstore when I saw a paperback with what looked like Larry Olivier's picture on the front; I picked it up, started reading, didn't put it down until later that night. (Yes, I did pay for the poor thing!) That book was Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time.

You can probably figure out the rest.
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:18 pm

Maybe I should introduce myself. I'm Wednesday, and I live in the western U.S. I am still upset with my ancestor who emigrated from Wales to Nova Scotia in the 18th century.

When I was at university, I took every undergraduate class I could on British history. In one, I was required to write a paper on a topic of my choosing. When I told the professor I couldn't decide what to write about, he suggested Richard III. At this point, I knew nothing about Richard's life or the legends surrounding him. I'd taken courses on renaissance playwrights, but had read "As You Like It" and "King Lear" and Marlowe's "Doctor Faustus", and had learned more about how renaissance audiences saw witchcraft (Faust was a witch) and Yeats' use of tarot imagery in his poetry than anything late medieval.

So off I went to the university library to look up sources. Of course I was thrown into Vergil and More. (Yes, I know they're not contemporary, but I didn't know any better at the time.) I began with More. A few pages in, I thought, "Why does this read like backstairs gossip?" I never did get to Vergil at that time.

The single source I ended up using for my paper was a book called To Prove a Villain: The Case of Richard III. It was a collection containing the following:

Shakespeare's play
More's History
Anonymous' "The Praise of King Richard III"
The Chronicle of the Abbey of Croyland
John Dolman, Francis Seager, Thomas Churchyard from "A Mirror for Magistrates"
Holinshed
Part of Bacon's History of the Reign of King Henry VII
Part of Walpole's Historic Doubts on the Life & Reign of King Richard III
Dickens from A Child's History of England
Part of Markham's Richard III, A Doubtful Verdict Reviewed
J. Dover Wilson's "A Note on Richard III"
Part of A. R. Myers' "The Character of Richard III"
A complete version of Tey's The Daughter of Time

Like many others who have read it, Tey's DoT left the deepest mark on me. I wrote the paper, submitted it, and the professor accepted it. When I asked him later if he thought Richard had killed his nephews, he said, "Probably." I didn't ask why, and he didn't share. But his specialty was Elizabeth I: I understand now why he answered as he did, but I still don't think he was right.

Except for my collecting every biography I ran across that was written about Richard, my interest (devotion?) lay dormant for years. It was reactivated when I saw an article about his bones possibly being found.

I feel frustrated being 6,000 miles away from Britain and having to watch as events unfold. Then again, I've felt frustrated at being 6,000 miles away from Britain since I was twelve years old and wept through "Camelot". All of my sympathy was with Arthur. It's only in hindsight that I can line up my fury with Guinevere and Lancelot's betrayal of Arthur alongside my fury with those who betrayed Richard.

Someone told me years ago that I'm devotional; while most people will be interested in something for thirty days, I'll cling to it for years. I'm not sure yet if that's good or bad, but here I am. What's nice is that I'm not alone. Smile

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:34 pm

Greetings. I came upon this forum through a link from a friend on Facebook. Not sure how much time I will be able to spend here, but am always happy to read about and discuss various Ricardian aspects.

As for my own interest in Richard III? It started several decades ago when I inadvertently picked up a book meaning to look up more about Richard II, and read about R3 instead. I was captivated by the historical doubts, and have read numerous books over the years -- both pro and con Richard -- and am not adverse to well-written historical fiction.

I am currently a member of the Richard III Society, American Branch; have been one for about 10 years now.
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:14 pm

I'm glad you're here, MA.

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Thank you. I'll probably spend some time getting familiar with the different sections and topics before diving in. I don't consider myself a Ricardian expert, but I'm not a novice, either. I like to make sure I know of what I'm writing before diving into the fray.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let me introduce myself ...   

Back to top Go down

Let me introduce myself ...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1