The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum where you can discuss King Richard III and anything related to his life and times.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wednesday
Admin
Wednesday

Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  Empty
PostSubject: Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal    Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  EmptySat 22 Mar 2014, 12:27

Laser copy of Richard's great seal (reproduction for wax seals). Original image is 10x10 by 72 dpi.

Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  <a href=Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  R3-GreatSeal_zps508eae58" />
Back to top Go down
https://richardiiinetwork.forumotion.com
whitehound
Admin
whitehound

PostSubject: Re: Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal    Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  EmptySat 22 Mar 2014, 14:33

What does "hibernie" mean in this context? Hibernia is Ireland - is this a seal associated with the English embassy in Ireland, maybe?
Back to top Go down
mro3

mro3

PostSubject: Re: Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal    Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  EmptyFri 28 Mar 2014, 21:26

The lettering around the seal reads "Richard by the grace of God king of France and England and lord of Ireland". The 'e' ending on Anglie, Fra[n]cie and Hibernie seems to be a substitute / short form for the 'ae' that would normally be used for the genitive form of a feminine noun (of something or somewhere).

I knew that O Level in Latin I took back in the Dark Ages would come in useful one day ...  

Interesting that France comes first.

Last edited by mro3 on Fri 28 Mar 2014, 21:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo.)
Back to top Go down
whitehound
Admin
whitehound

PostSubject: Re: Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal    Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  EmptyFri 28 Mar 2014, 21:35

Oh, I *see*, thanks - I was starting reading it from 9pm ("Dominus Hibernie Ricardus") when I should have read it from midnight!
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin
Wednesday

PostSubject: Re: Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal    Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  EmptyFri 28 Mar 2014, 21:47

I love that he chose an image of a knight rather than a ruler on a throne.
Back to top Go down
https://richardiiinetwork.forumotion.com
Constantia

Constantia

PostSubject: Re: Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal    Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  EmptySat 29 Mar 2014, 15:26

Wednesday wrote:
I love that he chose an image of a knight rather than a ruler on a throne.

Didn't he simply adapt Edward IV's great seal with the name changed? It could have been a money-saving measure or an attempt to maintain continuity or both. Or maybe the decision to make him king was so sudden that he needed a new seal in a hurry. (I do love the image, though, and I agree that it suits him.)
Back to top Go down
drajhtoo

drajhtoo

PostSubject: Re: Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal    Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  EmptySun 30 Mar 2014, 07:00

Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  Richard%20II,%20First%20Great%20Seal%20(obverse)%201377

The opposite side of Richard's great seal - showing the king, seated, perhaps on the throne of justice - the other duty of a medieval king, according to Lord Chief Justice Sir John Fortescue.

Taking his reference from scripture, Sir John wrote in his advice to Edward, Prince of Wales, son of Henry VI, that "the office [duty] of a king is to fight the battles of his people and to judge them rightfully, as you may very clearly learn in 1 Kings, chapter viii."

If you do a Google image search for richard iii great seal, you can compare versions, & it becomes clear that the "laser cut" is not quite right compared to the original - see where the "et" in "Anglie et Domine" is placed. I have also read that Richard's seal was the same as Edward's re-tooled to replace Edward's name with Richard's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal    Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal  Empty

Back to top Go down

Laser Copy of Richard's Great Seal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Richard III Network :: RICHARD MULTIMEDIA (Current & past articles, publications, memorabilia, videos, movies, plays, photos, events, seminars, etc.) :: Gallery of Creations-
Jump to: