The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum where you can discuss King Richard III and anything related to his life and times.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Questions about the forum

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Constantia

Constantia

Questions about the forum Empty
PostSubject: Questions about the forum   Questions about the forum EmptySun 23 Mar 2014, 21:55

Does this forum have files inaccessible to the general public? If not, how do we protect the essays and papers that we post here from plagiarism and/or copyright violation? In theory, of course, posting constitutes copyright, but I know people who have had ideas stolen (plagiarized) by others under the impression that if an article or other work is posted on the Internet, it's in the public domain, and that if it's in the public domain, they don't need to cite the source! Can you post some sort of warning in a "sticky" post that the essays and articles posted in this forum are the property of the author and must not be quoted or otherwise "borrowed" without permission of the author? Or can you make that section of the forum accessible to members only?
Back to top Go down
whitehound
Admin
whitehound

PostSubject: Re: Questions about the forum   Questions about the forum EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 19:06

As I understand it, part of the raison d'etre for the forum is to make its essays visible to the public so that journalists researching good current information about Richard will be able to find it, and won't be driven to More and Virgil because that's all they can get access to. But we should certainly expect that anyone who wants to quote from an article on here should cite their source.
Back to top Go down
Constantia

Constantia

PostSubject: Re: Questions about the forum   Questions about the forum EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 19:38

Thanks for your response. But I'd feel safer sending any article that I intended to publish to fellow forum members for review rather than posting it publicly. On the other hand, a chronology of Richard's life (subject to ongoing revision) or an essay that I want to circulate all over the Internet (without publication in a magazine or journal) would be safe here, always assuming that those who want to circulate it will link to it rather than copy it without permission or credit.

What about fifteenth-century documents--say Titulus Regius--that readers might want quick access to? Is there a place for them in this forum?
Back to top Go down
whitehound
Admin
whitehound

PostSubject: Re: Questions about the forum   Questions about the forum EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 20:26

We're going to have a links page with permanent links to relevant books and documents but we haven't had time to do one yet.

As for the other thing, I suppose we might be able to set up a private thread where people could discuss research or writings that they didn't want to go public on yet - I'll have to talk to Wednesday about it. The forum is still in its infancy!
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin
Wednesday

PostSubject: Re: Questions about the forum   Questions about the forum EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 20:34

Constantia wrote:
Thanks for your response. But I'd feel safer sending any article that I intended to publish to fellow forum members for review rather than posting it publicly. On the other hand, a chronology of Richard's life (subject to ongoing revision) or an essay that I want to circulate all over the Internet (without publication in a magazine or journal) would be safe here, always assuming that those who want to circulate it will link to it rather than copy it without permission or credit.

What about fifteenth-century documents--say Titulus Regius--that readers might want quick access to? Is there a place for them in this forum?

I think I've solved this. Please let me know if you test it and it doesn't work as outlined, or if there's something I've missed? Thanks.

FORUM FOR PRIVATE ARTICLES, OR ARTICLES A MEMBER INTENDS TO PUBLISH AND IS SEEKING COMMENTS ON

I have set the ARTICLES, PAPERS, ESSAYS WRITTEN BY MEMBERS forum located under "Richard Multimedia" ( (CLICK HERE or on the previous text in blue to see it) with the following settings:

1. The forum title displays only to members who are logged in. Guests and members who are not logged in will not see it.

2. Only members are able to view the forum and its messages.

3. Only members are able to write topics or messages in it.

4. Only members are able to see any images in the messages.

5. Only members may see links included in the messages.

FORUM FOR PUBLIC, CONTEMPORARY DOCUMENTS & REFERENCES

Contemporary Documents, References, & Source Materials is a forum also within "Richard Multimedia" that is visible to the public. This is where contemporary resources (like Titulus Regius or a chronology of Richard's life) would be located for quick reference.

If you think these should be named something else for the sake of clarity, please let me know. I'm doing this off the cuff and categories might not be as clear as they should be.  Wink
Back to top Go down
https://richardiiinetwork.forumotion.com
Wednesday
Admin
Wednesday

PostSubject: Re: Questions about the forum   Questions about the forum EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 20:42

Constantia wrote:
Does this forum have files inaccessible to the general public? If not, how do we protect the essays and papers that we post here from plagiarism and/or copyright violation? In theory, of course, posting constitutes copyright, but I know people who have had ideas stolen (plagiarized) by others under the impression that if an article or other work is posted on the Internet, it's in the public domain, and that if it's in the public domain, they don't need to cite the source! Can you post some sort of warning in a "sticky" post that the essays and articles posted in this forum are the property of the author and must not be quoted or otherwise "borrowed" without permission of the author? Or can you make that section of the forum accessible to members only?

We can make any forum "members only" and visible only to members, and we can post sticky-note warnings. But in my experience, if someone wants to steal something, they will. The only way I know of to prevent someone from plagiarising or violating your copyright is to publish it first with your copyright notice on it.

On the other hand, if you post it to a forum here, your post has a date and time stamp that is difficult to argue with. So it acts as a sort of proof of when you created your paper. You would also have multiple witnesses who read your paper in its infancy, so we could report the plagiarist if it's copy they've stolen and not just your idea...but again, there's no way to guarantee someone won't steal your idea even if they don't dare steal your exact words.

So the best advice I can give is, if you don't want to risk what you're writing, don't post it here until it's been published professionally somewhere else, on or off the web. I know this means you'll have to forego comments from fellow Ricardians, but only you can balance your desire for input with your desire to protect your creation and decide what's best for you.
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin
Wednesday

PostSubject: Re: Questions about the forum   Questions about the forum EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 20:49

whitehound wrote:
As I understand it, part of the raison d'etre for the forum is to make its essays visible to the public so that journalists researching good current information about Richard will be able to find it, and won't be driven to More and Virgil because that's all they can get access to.  But we should certainly expect that anyone who wants to quote from an article on here should cite their source.

There will hopefully be a lot of open discussions here quoting chapter and verse from reliable resources that aren't in a formal format. IMHO, if a journalist is worth anything, I would hope they'd either find the information they need within those open discussions, or post and ask for information on what they're looking for.

Also IMHO, if a journalist is determined to use only More and Virgil and Shakespeare, I doubt anything we say is going to redirect them. I also doubt they'd be on R3N in the first place, because that sort won't care about Richard or finding the truth; they'll only care about hitting their deadline.
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin
Wednesday

PostSubject: Re: Questions about the forum   Questions about the forum EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 20:52

whitehound wrote:
We're going to have a links page with permanent links to relevant books and documents but we haven't had time to do one yet.

Any member could begin one...we're really hoping R3N becomes the sort of "Dickon's Tower (office? solar?)" that everyone helps build, so we all feel at home in the chambers and hallways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about the forum   Questions about the forum Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions about the forum
Page 1 of 1