The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum where you can discuss King Richard III and anything related to his life and times.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
phaecilia

phaecilia

Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus Empty
PostSubject: Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus   Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus EmptyFri 04 Apr 2014, 13:22

Has anyone found folklore in Thomas More's work?

Here's an example I found quoted in Albion; a guide to legendary Britain by Jennifer Westwood (1985).  

More wrote that unhappily married women appealed to St. Wigefort for relief.  Some women changed St. Wigefort's name to "saynt Vncumber bycause they rekone that ... she wyll nat fayle to vncomber thym of theyr housbondys."  Oats were offered to St. Uncumber at St. Paul's.

I'd like to find studies comparing folklore in More's work to folklore in Herodotus' Histories.  Even though Annette Carson's Maligned King does a good job of replacing More's fictions with facts, it would be good to see other authors recognizing folklore in More's writing.

I'd like to see more authors replace tiresome Shakespearean caractures with creative investigations of overlooked folklore sources.  It would be refreshing to read about More as a follower of Herodotus, rather than More as a traditional authority.

phaecilia
Back to top Go down
whitehound
Admin
whitehound

PostSubject: Re: Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus   Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus EmptyWed 09 Apr 2014, 07:39

St Wigefort is of course a variant of Walburga (or vice versa). Iirc she was a real Saxon princess.
Back to top Go down
phaecilia

phaecilia

PostSubject: Re: Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus   Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus EmptyWed 09 Apr 2014, 14:38

whitehound wrote:
St Wigefort is of course a variant of Walburga (or vice versa).  Iirc she was a real Saxon princess.

There are lots of variations on her name.  I found the heading British Folk Tales and Legends when I googled St. Wigefort.  Under that is an incomplete entry which gives lots of names and part of her story.  It's very similar to what I remember from Albion; a guide to legendary Britain.

I'm doing my best to copy the link.  I hope this works.  If it doesn't thanks for your patience.  I'll get it right eventually.  

St.Wigefort

phaecilia
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus   Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus Empty

Back to top Go down

Folklore, Thomas More, and Herodotus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Richard III Network :: RICHARD MULTIMEDIA (Current & past articles, publications, memorabilia, videos, movies, plays, photos, events, seminars, etc.) :: Richard in Folklore-
Jump to: