The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.

A forum where you can discuss King Richard III and anything related to his life and times.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Cat Paw-Prints found in 15th-century manuscript (Meow)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wednesday
Admin

PostSubject: Cat Paw-Prints found in 15th-century manuscript (Meow)   Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:38 pm

Not to be outdone by puppy prints in Roman tiles, a medieval cat left its paw prints on a 15th-century manuscript. (The manuscript features bastarda hand, just like Richard wrote in  king , while the cat appears to have walked in Bast-paw.)

ARTICLE HERE

Additional photos:

FLICKR PHOTO STREAM W/ MORE PAWPRINTS

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cat Paw-Prints found in 15th-century manuscript (Meow)   Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Oh, cute.  The two sets of prints are a long way apart, so I think what we have here is probably not the print of four paws, but a cat who dipped just the front paws in ink and left two sets of prints of the fore-paws, with the hind-paws placed in between the two sets of prints, but not leaving a mark.

In St Albans, which was once the Roman town of Verulanium, there's a roof-tile which not only has a dog's paw print on it but a small stone embedded in it, which the tile-maker had evidently chucked at thye dog.  They also found a sherd which had scratched on it a message which said something like "Marcus has been going off on his own every night for the past week".  I love these little frozen moments of time.
Back to top Go down
phaecilia

PostSubject: Re: Cat Paw-Prints found in 15th-century manuscript (Meow)   Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:23 pm

This article reminds me of Pangur Ban, the medieval scholar's cat:

Pangur Ban

phaecilia
Back to top Go down
khafara

PostSubject: Re: Cat Paw-Prints found in 15th-century manuscript (Meow)   Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:12 pm

Here's a picture of the manuscript page where the poem was written:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangur_B%C3%A1n

Meow!
Back to top Go down
khafara

PostSubject: Re: Cat Paw-Prints found in 15th-century manuscript (Meow)   Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:20 pm

Wednesday wrote:
Not to be outdone by puppy prints in Roman tiles, a medieval cat left its paw prints on a 15th-century manuscript. (The manuscript features bastarda hand, just like Richard wrote in , while the cat appears to have walked in Bast-paw.)

Does that make followers of Bast "Bast-ards"? (Apologies to Bast.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cat Paw-Prints found in 15th-century manuscript (Meow)   

Back to top Go down

Cat Paw-Prints found in 15th-century manuscript (Meow)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1