The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum where you can discuss King Richard III and anything related to his life and times.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
phaecilia

phaecilia

Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin Empty
PostSubject: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptyFri 18 Apr 2014, 13:16

I've enjoyed her fiction and essays for a long time, and I was glad to find that she'd written a poem about Richard.

It was published in Hard Words & Other Poems.  

I think it's worth the effort to track it down at a library or bookstore.

phaecilia

Last edited by phaecilia on Sat 19 Apr 2014, 10:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin
Wednesday

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptyFri 18 Apr 2014, 14:03

The link goes to Powell's bookshop....
Back to top Go down
https://richardiiinetwork.forumotion.com
phaecilia

phaecilia

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 10:33

Wednesday wrote:
The link goes to Powell's bookshop....

When I found it yesterday it took me straight to a copy of Hard Words.  Today it doesn't.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

phaecilia
Back to top Go down
khafara

khafara

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 14:10

I wonder if Le Guin made them remove the direct link? She's quite zealous about protecting her intellectual property.
Back to top Go down
whitehound
Admin
whitehound

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptySun 20 Apr 2014, 12:25

Oh, Le Guin is a *wonderful* poet - in fact I prefer her poems to her prose, which is often rather preachy. One of my all time favourite and most treasured books is a little mini-book of her poems, called "Wild Angels", which I bought in 1979 or 1980. Everything in it is a gem and I can still quote some of the shorter ones by heart.
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin
Wednesday

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptySun 20 Apr 2014, 15:40

I've tried reading her novels but get lost in the description. My mind shuts down so that my eyes move but nothing gets past them. I wish I could read her because others find her work so good.
Back to top Go down
https://richardiiinetwork.forumotion.com
whitehound
Admin
whitehound

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptySun 20 Apr 2014, 17:47

The early stories are much better than the late ones imo. But either way the poems are *wonderful*. This is one about a nun which I remember by heart, for example, although I've forgotten the title:

I am living in the Isle of the Wise,
And there is nothing wrong;
The wind blows along
The blessing of the skies

Oh Bread of Heaven, storm
Of transformation, change
Sorrow to something strange.
In the cold one keeps warm.
Back to top Go down
phaecilia

phaecilia

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptyMon 21 Apr 2014, 17:57

khafara wrote:
I wonder if Le Guin made them remove the direct link?  She's quite zealous about protecting her intellectual property.

She has posted some of her poems on her website, so she doesn't mind sharing them there.  I'm disappointed her poem about Richard isn't among them.

I thought I was making a link to a page of Le Guin's books at Powell's books which would make it easier to find.  I found it on her website.  The first time I tried it, it brought up a record for Hard Words and other poems.   scratch

Guess I'll stick to plain old citations from now on.  

phaecilia
Back to top Go down
khafara

khafara

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptyMon 21 Apr 2014, 21:11

Thanks for letting us know it's out there, P! We'll see it eventually, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
whitehound
Admin
whitehound

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptyMon 21 Apr 2014, 21:35

I founbd a copy going very cheap on the met and ordered it - but it has to come from the US, so it will take at least 5 days and could take weeks.
Back to top Go down
whitehound
Admin
whitehound

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptyWed 07 May 2014, 18:06

It's just called "Richard".

Loyalty bound him.  Not deft,
not flexible.  Stanley betrayed him.
Why did he fight so hard to die
so sorely hurt?  Did he foresee
the hump, the murders, and the theft,
the withered hand, and all the Tudors made him?
That were the sorer wound.
He lived what he was bound to be,
an honest man; a king, like any man;
son of a dark year; bereft.
He dies hard.  Loyaulté me lie.

Weirdly, from my perspective, on the very next page is a poem about the death of Sir Peter Medawar, whom I knew well when I was a small child (my mother was his housekeeper for two or three years).
Back to top Go down
khafara

khafara

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin EmptyWed 07 May 2014, 21:18

Thank you, Whitehound.

It's beautiful, in its stark way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin   Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin Empty

Back to top Go down

Poem about Richard by Ursula K. LeGuin
Page 1 of 1