The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum where you can discuss King Richard III and anything related to his life and times.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Constantia

Constantia

Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry Empty
PostSubject: Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry   Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry EmptySat 26 Apr 2014, 10:17

Just wondering whether discussions of heraldry should go in this section. Chivalry and heraldry were connected in Richard's mind, and, of course, he founded the College of Heralds. Moderators, if heraldry doesn't belong in this section, where should it go? I'm asking because I finally understand what a fetterlock (part of the early Yorkist badge) is thanks to an Amazon free sample of Brian Wainwright's book, Frustrated Falcons(about the three children of Edmund of Langley. Duke of York, Richard's paternal great-grandfather). Apparently, the "falcons" were "frustrated" because their father was so far down the line for the throne. Later, according to Wainwright, Edward IV opened the fetterlock to signify that the falcons (presumably, the House of York) were free.

I wanted the topic title to be simply "heraldry," but Forumotion requires the topic to be at least ten characters!
Back to top Go down
khafara

khafara

PostSubject: Re: Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry   Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry EmptySat 26 Apr 2014, 21:30

Sounds good to me!
Back to top Go down
Thibault

Thibault

PostSubject: Re: Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry   Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry EmptySun 27 Apr 2014, 08:56

I don't think Richard founded the College of Heralds as such - more that he gave them a London HQ - which Henry VII promptly took away from them and gave to MB.
Back to top Go down
Wednesday
Admin
Wednesday

PostSubject: Re: Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry   Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry EmptyFri 16 May 2014, 10:17

I've added "and Chivalry" to the title of this section. So there you go.
Back to top Go down
https://richardiiinetwork.forumotion.com
Constantia

Constantia

PostSubject: Re: Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry   Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry EmptySat 31 May 2014, 20:19

Thibault wrote:
I don't think Richard founded the College of Heralds as such - more that he gave them a London HQ - which Henry VII promptly took away from them and gave to MB.

Actually, Richard did found the College of Arms, granting the heralds a charter through letters patent dated March 21, 1484. See Sir Clements Markham. You're correct that Henry took away the "fayre and stately house" that Richard had granted them, but fortunately, he didn't take away the charter. The title page of The History of the College of Arms also identifies Richard as their founder. (Scroll down past the portraits to see it.) Of course, heralds and pursuivants existed in England before Richard's time, but they weren't an official organization until Richard incorporated them.
Back to top Go down
whitehound
Admin
whitehound

PostSubject: Re: Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry   Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry EmptySun 01 Jun 2014, 10:57

Does anybody know if any other incorporated bodies called themselves "The Royal College of..." before the Heralds? If not, it would suggest that the Royal Colleges of Surgeons and Physicians to some extent inspired by Richard's foundation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry   Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry Empty

Back to top Go down

Heraldry as an aspect of chivalry
Page 1 of 1