The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Welcome to The Richard III Network. We hope you enjoy your visit and consider joining our forum.
The Richard III Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum where you can discuss King Richard III and anything related to his life and times.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
drajhtoo

drajhtoo

Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales Empty
PostSubject: Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales   Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales EmptySun 06 Dec 2020, 07:29

A recent murreyandblue blog post alerts us to the fact that we should have known for a long time that Richard's son Edward is buried at St Alkelda's in Middleham. It's a sort of throwaway comment included in the post

EDWARD OF MIDDLEHAM ‘SON TO KYNG RICHARD’ & THE MYSTERIOUS SHERIFF HUTTON MONUMENT.

https://sparkypus.com/2020/07/16/edward-of-middleham-son-to-kyng-richard-the-mysterious-sheriff-hutton-monument/

Sparkypus wrote "In his Latin version of his Roll,  Rous states ‘Edward,  illustrious Prince of Wales,  only son and heir to King Richard the third and his honourable consort Anne , Queen of England,  but in fact heir to Heaven;  his sacred soul was never infected by the blemish of guilt and he died a child before his parents and was taken with honour to a grave at Middleham’

She then refers us to an article in last year's Ricardian by 2 of the members of the Society who have made huge contributions to our knowledge of King Richard's life as gleaned from materials created in his lifetime. (The Ricardian Vol XXX 2020.  Of Lordys lyne and lyneage sche was.  Anne F Sutton and Livia Visser-Fuchs).  

Sutton & Visser-Fuchs, in turn, made the comment that its ‘astonishing” the information given by Rous is ‘apparently never used’.
Back to top Go down
Ladychaol

Ladychaol

PostSubject: Re: Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales   Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales EmptyMon 07 Dec 2020, 00:39

I had always suspected that, it was the most obvious place. His parents were devastated and that was the nearest place where the child could be buried. I wonder if Richard himself wanted to be buried there as well before being king. I am sure he had left a will at least before the Scottish campaign asking where to be buried in case of death. I don't remember well so maybe I am wrong but the chantry in York Minster was something he did as a king. If I am right and Richard had decided his burial place as Duke of Gloucester, it should have been Middleham church as well.
Back to top Go down
drajhtoo

drajhtoo

PostSubject: Re: Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales   Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales EmptyMon 07 Dec 2020, 00:45

Yes, I agree.

If I remembering rightly, I think the Statutes for the College at Middleham actually contain directions suggesting that Richard as Duke of Gloucester expected his & Anne's interments to be there. That, in turn, leads me to wonder if that was part of the reason for attempting to elevate St Alkelda's status.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales   Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales Empty

Back to top Go down

Burial location of Richard's son, Edward, Prince of Wales
Page 1 of 1